Saturday, May 3, 2014

Carnarvon Great Walk, April 2014

I haven't been blogging for a little while because I've actually been out walking. The Wednesday before Easter saw me heading out of Melbourne on a two and a bit day drive to central Queensland, I was off to walk the Carnarvon Great Walk.
Crossing into Queensland on the drive up, at a tiny town called Hebel

The Moss Garden, Day 1.

Carnarvon Gorge near Big Bend.

Swimming Day 1, Carnarvon Gorge.

On top of Battleship Spur.
I wont go into to much detail here as I've written the walk up on one of my crazy guy journals , there's over 100 photo's in the journal. Needless to say the walk was a success, I ended up walking around 110 kilometres over six days, book ended by a 2000 kilometre drive at each end. After leaving Battleship Spur lookout on day two of the walk I only saw one other walker until I hit the last hour of the walk at Boolimba Bluff on day six, the back section is fairly remote.



Carnarvon Gorge from Battleship Spur lookout.

Swimming in Angelina Creek, Day 3.

Mount Moffat, Day 3.


West Branch Walkers Camp, Day 3.
Crossing the west branch of the Maranoa River, Day 4.
I punctuated the drive home with a stop in Warwick to visit our Kiwi mates, Paul and Rachel and they spoilt me with a roast dinner and Rachel's mums home made apple pie, after five nights of dehydrated and freeze dried food it was like my taste buds had died and gone to heaven. Next day I completed the 17 hour drive back to my own bed.




Foley's Spring, Day 5.
So if you want to read of lost walkers, swimming holes, wild horses and pigs, hidden springs, and a near catastrophic incident with a bull ant bite to the balls, check out the journal!
Filling up with water at Consuelo Camping Zone tank, Day 5.

Cycads on the Consuelo Tableland, Day 5.


The Dirt
The drive from Melbourne takes two good days. I did the walk in six days but if really keen it would be possible to double up and walk 30+ kilometre days, I'm too broken for that though! Once leaving Carnarvon Gorge the track is a bushwalking pad, gaiters are handy as there's long sections of grass where you can't see your feet. The pad is marked with enough arrows to be fairly easy to follow and there are small sign posts at track junctions. I carried the Great Walk Carnarvon Topo map and a GPS, you need one or the other, preferably both.


About to top out on Demon's Ridge, Day 6.

The view from Boolimba Bluff, Day 6.

The visitor centre is just over the last creek crossing, Day 6.
It seems I've developed a stress fracture in my right ankle so the doc says no walking or mountain biking for a little while. I suppose that means I'll have to do some retro posts on the blog, so be prepared for some fluro clothes and some mighty fine mullets.
Take me to the shower, Day 6.
Another five hours and I'll be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...