Saturday, September 6, 2014

Arthurs Seat - September 2014



I've been a bit crook with a lingering cold for a couple of weeks so I haven't done a lot of walking, but with the arrival of a new guide book last week I was motivated to head out and revisit Arthurs Seat and Seawinds Gardens. Being close to home I've walked here a lot but with a new set of notes I thought I would look at the walk through another set of eyes.
Looking towards Mt Martha.
The Matthew Flinders Cairn on Arthurs Seat.

Parking near the lookout I headed over to get the obligatory photo, the day was fairly hazy so the views over the bay were not great. Leaving the lookout I headed to the Matthew Flinders Cairn which provides another view over the bay, this time to the south, the bay views are the predominant feature of the whole walk. Matthew Flinders was an explorer who charted much of Australia's coast line and climbed to this spot in 1802.
Heading towards Seawinds Gardens.



The European Trees in the gardens make a change from the Aussie bush.
Leaving the cairn I headed off to Seawinds Gardens, for years Seawinds were private gardens before Parks Victoria took over running them. Seawinds provides more great views over the bay and also a chance to check out the different European trees growing there, the contrast between the neat and ordered gardens and the Australian bush is another feature of the walk. After getting a couple of photos of the Eastern Grey Kangaroo's grazing on the extensive lawns I then headed for the TC McKellar loop.
A young joey sticking his head out for a look.
Eastern Grey Kangaroo's grazing in Seawinds Gardens.
The You Yangs appear to be floating on a sea of mist on the other side of Port Phillip Bay.
Seawinds Gardens.
The late afternoon sun on Port Phillip Bay.
The TC McKellar loop is in the southern end of Seawinds and loops through some native Australian bush, its an easy walk that today was enlivened by the shafts of sunlight penetrating haze. I mucked around with my macro setting on the camera trying to get a good photo of the wildflowers that are starting to come out , however my ambition doesn't match my talent and the photos are decidedly ordinary.
Scotch Elm in Seawinds Gardens.
Back in the native bush on the TC McKellar loop.

The shafts of sunlight added a bit of interest.
Completing the loop it was time to again cross the gardens, this time through the native nursery, before meandering my way back towards my car. After one last look at the view it was time to head home after a very pleasant walk on a beautiful spring day.

Heading back to the ute across the top of the gardens.
The Dirt.
According to my GPS I walked 4.7 kilometres and climbed 98 metres. I did the walk as described in Melanie Ball's new book, Top Walks in Victoria. To find out more about Arthurs Seat or Seawinds Gardens check out the Parks Victoria page.


The sun adding a bit more colour when I got back to the lookout at Arthurs Seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...