Saturday, September 19, 2015

Cradle Mountain, Cradle Mountain National Park - May 2007


Crater Lake.

While I was Tasmania back in 2007 I did quite a few day walks, although with the blog years away it appears that I didn't actually take that many photos, and a post without photos would be pretty boring. After completing the very easy Dove Lake Circuit the day before I was keen to ramp up the degree of difficulty a bit, in all my visits to Cradle Mountain I'd actually only climbed to the summit once, so with the weather looking promising I figured that today would be a great day to get up there again.
The Wombat Pool.
I decided to head up from the Dove Lake car park via Lake Lilla and the beautiful little Wombat Pool. The Wombat Pool is another spot that has great memories for me, years ago my mate Dave and I had battled our way up here from Ronny Creek in a fairly severe blizzard, finding a little shelter near some Pencil Pines we stopped for a moment to regroup when out of the corner of my eye I noticed some movement in the partially frozen pool. Standing still in the driving snow we were rewarded by the sight of a platypus frolicking in the shallow water, it was one of those moments that has stayed with me forever. Today, however it was all blue sky and sunshine, but alas no platypus.
No snow at the Wombat Pool today.
From the Wombat Pool I climbed up to the high saddle on the ridge between Crater Lake and Dove Lake, joined The Overland Track and climbed my way up the fixed chain to Marions Lookout. If you're doing The Overland Track, Marions Lookout gives you your first grand stand look over Dove Lake as well as marking the spot where most of the climbing is complete on day 1. Leaving the lookout I headed across the open country towards Plateau Creek, my attention now on the looming Cradle Mountain, the flank of the mountain dark and brooding in the changing light.
Crater Lake from the saddle below Marions Lookout.
Climbing towards Marions Lookout.
Crater Lake.
Lake Lilla from Marions Lookout.
The brooding flanks of Cradle Mountain.
Cradle Mountain from Cradle Plateau.
Plateau Creek.
Passing through the milling day walkers at Kitchen Hut I started the ascent, like a lot of climbs in Tasmania the ascent route on Cradle Mountain requires a little bit of easy scrambling. Initially though its just a solid climb up towards a boulder field. Once on the boulders you have to be a little careful as some of the boulders are the size of cars, following the poled route over a small saddle the route drops steeply into a gully on the east side of the peak. This gully can be really dodgy if there is much lingering snow but today it was all sweet, crossing the gully I scrambled up the last steep section and arrived at the surprisingly roomy and flat summit. The views south along the route of The Overland Track had me wishing that I was heading out for a few days instead of returning to my nice room at Cradle Valley, Barn Bluff looked particularly stunning and close at hand, ah well, there is always next time!
Dove Lake from the climb up Cradle Mountain.
Looking down to Kitchen Hut from Cradle Mountain.
Looking north east from Cradle Mountain.
Barn Bluff from Cradle Mountain, you can just make out The Overland Track crossing Cradle Cirque.
Waterfall Valley from Cradle Mountain.
The summit ridge.
Climbing down through the boulder field.
By the time I'd returned to Kitchen Hut it was getting late in the afternoon so I decided to use the quickest route off the mountain, The Face Track and then the link track that passes by Lake Wilks to the Dove Lake Track. The route down is not very far but it does require some more easy scrambling, especially the link track as it descends to Lake Wills, the track descends some rocky bluffs that has some people sliding down on their bums. Before I reached the Lake Wilks Track though I had to traverse The Face Track under the towering cliffs of Weindorfers Tower, this is a great track that is cut into some very perpendicular country, made even more spectacular today by the late afternoon sun lighting up the golden fagus. 
It was getting late when I started out across The Face Track.
The Face Track with the cliffs of Weidorfers Tower above.
Late afternoon light on The Face Track.
Weindorfers Tower from Lake Wilks.
Little Horn from near Lake Wilks.
Safely down The Lake Wilks Track all I had to do was make my way around the eastern side of Dove Lake. I'd done the Dove Lake Circuit yesterday and finished in fading light, today however I'd be finishing in the dark. Finishing in the dark isn't as bad as it sounds however as the track is superbly engineered and the rapidly fading light gave the scene a whole new dimension. Making my way along the lake side path watching the clouds in the sky reflected in the lake, hearing the occasional splash from a platypus and having it completely to myself, it was the perfect end to a great day walk.....well that and a beer with my lamb shanks back at the pub!
It was getting late by the time I got down to Dove Lake.
Last light on Cradle Mountain.
That's the Boat Shed on the other side of Dove Lake.
Almost back at the Dove Lake Car Park.
The Dirt.
I walked around 10 kilometres on this walk and climbed around 720 metres. I'm not sure if the walk has been written up the exact way that I did it but John Chapman and Tyrone Thomas have written up a multitude of walks around this area and you can mix a match using their notes and maps, or just grab a Cradle Mountain Day Walks map and make it up as you go. I'd rate this walk a medium walk, although some people may be put off by the easy scrambling. All the tracks I used today are well defined and signposted.













Tarns on Cradle Plateau.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...