Thursday, July 20, 2017

Ferny Creek, Dandenong Ranges National Park - April 2017


If towering trees don't float your boat maybe give this post a miss....

Setting off on a walk round 60 minutes before sunset isn't the ideal time to start a stroll normally, today though I had a bit of a cunning plan. With the day having been overcast and crappy I was looking for something that may help my photos a bit, so the plan was to head into Sherbrooke Forest with my tripod and hope that the lower light levels in conjunction with a slower shutter speed might even out the exposure levels in my photos a bit. Now just in case your thinking that this Feral bloke sounds like he knows what he is talking about, yeah nah.... I probably took around 60 photos on this little walk and what you are seeing here are the only ones that are even remotely respectable, oh well I am enthusiastic I suppose even if I've got no idea and no talent!
The war memorial marked the start of todays walk.

Parking the ute at the corner of Sherbrooke Road and Mount Dandenong Tourist Road I wandered off into the gloom. Initially the route tracks along just on the edge of the bush line beside Mount Dandenong Tourist Road for around 500 metres before heading into the scrub along Hackett Track. For anyone who's never walked this area before Sherbrooke Forest is famous (in my eyes anyway) for its majestic Mountain Ash trees, these giant eucalyptus trees make you feel quite insignificant. The downside of the Mountain Ash though is it's almost impossible to get a photo of anything else really. Following the wide Hackett Track down the gentle valley of Sherbrooke Creek I zig zagged a bit and soon arrived at Sherbrook Falls. Now I could crap on about all the huge waterfalls that I've visited over the years and generally sound like a wanker but I've been reliably told that size doesn't matter, hmmm? so working on that rational then Sherbrooke Falls are pretty cool, although lets just say that they are best visited after rain!
Like a lot of the walks in our under resourced parks, this one was looking a little tired in spots.
Hackett Track is a nice easy walk.
My photos of Sherbrooke Falls are that ordinary that I'm not even going to post one, I'll post another photo of the trees instead! Leaving the falls and climbing up towards Moore Break it was now as good as dark, at least the light was even now, although I needed night vision to do anything with it. After disturbing a small wallaby I turned on to the wide grassy swathe that is Moore Break, bordered on one side by the houses of Ferny Creek and on the other side by Sherbrooke Forest this grassy firebreak makes for a nice easy walk. It wasn't long before I started to drop back down towards Mount Dandenong Tourist Road, the headlights of the cars being the giveaway. On meeting Hackett Track the circuit section of my walk was over, all that I had to do now was retrace the pad back beside the tourist road to the ute. So did the late evening tactics work for my photos? You be the judge but I'm not sure it was worth wandering around the scrub with a tripod slung over my shoulder for an hour and a half.
It was basically dark when I took these photos.

The Dirt.
I walked 5 kilometres and climbed 122 metres on this very easy stroll. I used the notes and mud map out of one of Tyrone Thomas' 120 Walks in Victoria books, to be honest though all you really is a map and you can easily make your own adventure in Sherbrooke Forest.
Relevant Posts.
The grassy Moore Break made for a nice finish to my evenings stroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...